Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Unscrupulous Sales Techniques in Funeral Homes

A Review of www.funerals.org

There just doesn't seem to be enough information out there for the consumer on planning a funeral. It is sad that as a culture we don't educate people about the death process. How are consumers supposed to know their rights? Are we all just to trust the Funeral Director when the time comes? The funerals.org website clears up a lot of questions on issues such as embalming practices and cremation - the stuff you're too uncomfortable to ask about. It's a good tool for anyone planning a funeral or considering pre-planned arrangements. But what about the details? What really happens when you sit down with that 'Counselor' to plan-out funeral arrangements for a loved one?

I was truly shocked when I learned about the practices of funeral homes in America. My background as a Death & Dying Psychology student has opened my eyes to a lot of things.
As a former sales person, I recognized a lot of the same psychological and emotional sales techniques being used at the many funeral homes I visited through my studies. I find these types of sales techniques barely ethical in most situations and can’t believe that funeral sales associates are using them on bereaved family members. While going through the whole funeral process after my Grandmother died, I witnessed first-hand the trickery that is sometimes deployed. After picking out a pretty but moderately priced casket, the "Counselor" showed us a deluxe model and pulled the old, "It will be your final gift to your Mom" bit. My Mother took one look at the upgraded coffin compete with Rose painting on the inside lid and satin lining and declared, "It just looks like Mom". Add another $2000 to the bill. When all was totaled we were quickly offered financing. My Mother paid on that funeral for several years - and my Grandma owned her plot already. It was the same deal when my Grandpa died later that year. Understanding “Counselors” with dollar signs in their eyes leading people through a carefully planned and executed sales process.

What I've learned through the years is that we have options. I would prefer to be placed directly into the ground without the aid of modern science or preserving chemicals. At first I didn't think this would be possible and I would have to settle for the funeral industry's equivalent of 'The Works' - which they seem to push on everyone. I learned that it is the cemeteries, not the states that set the grave liner requirements, which adds thousands to some funerals. This isn't something they tell you at the funeral home. I feel a lot more comfortable knowing that my body can just do what it is supposed to do naturally after death. I find embalming along with all of the other effort put into making the dead body look alive disturbing and unnatural - but that's just my personal opinion. It's nice to know you have options.

I think a lot of people would benefit from a visit this website. It clearly explains the benefits and drawbacks to embalming, cremation, burial, grave liners, funeral pre-payment programs and DNRs. The website lists many excellent resources for the grieving. I was shocked when I read "How Much Will My Funeral Cost?" - I didn't know before reading the article that you can't rely on life insurance to pay for your funeral. It is so important for people to understand the process and financial responsibilities of planning a funeral. The only way to get a fair deal seems to be through research and education.

No comments:

Post a Comment